Re: The return of RMS and GNU/Linux

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian C White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:

Brian> Right, there isn't.  So why bother with "lignux"?  Changing the
Brian> name of somebody else's work is just plain rude.

Emacs refers to operating systems that use the Linux kernel and huge
chunks of GNU code as Lignux because that is what they are.  What is
rude is trying to bury this fact.

Brian> I used emacs
Brian> and gcc on my sparc at work, but it wasn't known as "soglaris".

Maintainers of popular GNU packages do a fair amount of testing before
release.  It is common when beta-testing these packages to get
reminders from the maintainers that it is useful to test them using
the native environment, because they are quite distinct.  My
environment on the SGI I usually use is as much free software as it
Irix stuff, and I think of it that way.