Re: Inclusion of kernel version in kernel package names: A followup

I was under the impression that the image packages were only for the
user who doesn't want to be troubled with configuring and compiling his
own kernel.

As such, I think it's a waste of time to make the scripts cover every
contingency.  No matter how safe your script, Manoj, it will do
horrible things to some user's unexpectedly weird setup.  Instead the
image packages should clearly state their intended audience.

I think it's also a mistake, Dale, to install your own kernels with
your own lilo.conf and still expect kernel images that you've installed
to work.

Because users will install their own kernels, any package that depends
on a specific kernel version should not enforce this with a Depends.
Instead the description should mention the dependency, and the preinst
can check it with uname.

Guy