Re: Inclusion of kernel version in kernel package names: A followup

>>"CH" == Christian Hudon <chrish@libertel.montreal.qc.ca> writes:
CH> On Tue, 14 May 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:
IJ> I don't think that using dpkg's dependency mechanisms is appropriate
IJ> here, because people are always compiling their own kernels.

CH> I second that... Please think about bleeding-edge people. I have
CH> chrish@pianocktail:[~] >uname -a
CH> Linux pianocktail 1.99.2 #17-pre-2.0 Sun May 12 23:56:10 EDT 1996 i586
CH> compiled, but the Debian kernel package I have installed is image-1.2.13.

	I'm a bleeding edge person too, I just prefer to build an
 image package and install that, so that I get the advantages of
 dpkg. I could unbundle the support scripts in the package database,
 if people wish to build their own private image packages.

"Evolution is what it is.  The upper classes have always died out;
it's one of the most charming things about them."  -- Germaine Greer
Manoj Srivastava               Systems Research Programmer, Project Pilgrim,
Phone: (413) 545-3918                A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center,
Fax:   (413) 545-1249         University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
<srivasta@pilgrim.umass.edu> <URL:http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/%7Esrivasta/>