Re: http daemon suggestion/proposal

David H. Silber:
> Why not?  /var is intended for data that might (or is likely to) change.

I'm likely to change /usr/bin, since I often install new software.
Therefore, all new software should be installed in /var/bin instead.

Installing a new cgi-bin is similar to installing a new program, and both
require a writeable /usr.  If we want to support a completely non-writeable
/usr, while still allowing installation of new software, then perhaps
we should look into a mechanism to solve the general case.  (/opt, perhaps.
In any case, we would need relocateable packages.)

/var is for data that is likely to change during normal operation.
Installing new software is not normal operation.