rxvt and /dev/console

my rxvt (2.14-1) can't open /dev/console on startup. Anybody got the same
error? Is there a simple fix? If not, I'll file a bug-report....

dpkg -l rxvt
ii rxvt         2.14     VT100 emulator for the X window system

ll /dev/console
crw--w--w-      1 boekhold users       4,   0 May  4 15:15 /dev/console

rxvt +ls -C &
(starts up)
rxvt: can't open console
rxvt: Device or resource busy

This happens on every rxvt I start, including the first

| Maarten Boekhold, Faculty of Electrical Engineering TU Delft,   NL  |
|   boekhold@cindy.et.tudelft.nl boekhold@gopher.library.tudelft.nl   |
|                  Take life as a party!                              |