Re: Martin Schultze, your mailer is broken !

On Sat, 4 May 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

> > Huh? Ian, I think here's a misunderstanding.
> >
> > Smail sends mail
> >
> > User: joey	To: joey	Goes to: joey
> > User: root	To: root	Goes to: root@mailhost
> >
> > At least this is what happened here before I killed all the
> > Smail configuration that comes with Debian and installed my own from
> > scratch. (Or did I forgot the correct facts?)
>
> I'm surprised that you managed to get it to do this without doing
> something special yourself.  Certainly Debian's configuration oughtn't
> to get it doing anything like that.
>
> Perhaps I'm mistaken ...

that sounds easy enough to do, just with /etc/aliases.

e.g.

webmaster: root
hostmaster: root
postmaster: root
usenet: root
news: root
uucp: root
root: root@mailhost

would forward all mail for the above accounts to root@mailhost

In fact, if i recall correctly, the smail package which came with
debian 0.93 asked where you wanted root's mail sent to and modified
/etc/aliases accordingly.  I remember that it recommended forwarding
root's mail to the first user created...I'm glad it asked, as I'd hate
to get root's mail sent to cas.  I login as cas for my stuff, and login
or su to root for root stuff.

Craig