Re: problem with man?

Rob writes:

> I tried your fix, but that didn't help.  After mandb -c there's still
> no whatis file in /usr/X11/man/, and so man -k still dies with the
> error.
>
> Other ideas?

I don't have whatis pages either.  Instead, I have index.db pages.
They are located in /usr/man and /var/catman and /var/catman/X11R6.
index.db is built using some database routine, so one possibility is
that you are using some database library that's not OK.

Meanwhile, FYI, I'm using man-2.3.10-11.

My only suggestions are either to try:

  mandb -d -c            to see mandb's debugging output.

or just check whether your /etc/manpath.config has this line in it:
   MANDB_MAP       /usr/X11R6/man          /var/catman/X11R6

Then see if the file index.db is in /var/catman and /var/catman/X11R6.

Beyond that, I'd have to download the source for mandb and look at
what it's doing.

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann
sgk@sgk.tiac.net