Re: kernel tree for install disks?

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com>
> > The reason *I* care is that I'm trying a 1.1 pcmcia bootstrap, and
> > for that I need the exact kernel sources (and more importantly,
> > config file!) that the release was built with.
>
> I used 1.3.91 because that's what I had on hand on my home system.
> The sources aren't modified from Linus' version, the config file
> is attached to this message. Simon could be persuaded to release a
> 1.3.77, but unless 1.3.93 (and counting) fixes problems he's had with
> more recent kernels, he might be reluctant to package it.

There's something different between Simon's 1.3.64 and Linus' 1.3.64.

A few days ago I tried to manually patch it up to 1.3.90 (I mirror all
the kernel patches).  My patch script broke at 1.3.68 or 1.3.69 - about
4 or 5 "patch already applied, assume -R [y/n]?" type messages.

I answered N each time, not wanting to reverse the patches, and continued
patching up to 1.3.90 (which was the latest patch I had at the time).

Kernel compilation broke somewhere in the net drivers (I think).  Didn't
have enough time to look at the problem closely so decided to leave it
alone until I had more time.

Craig