man uses ISO-Latin-1, but the default console font is ASCII

Bruce Perens:
 > The "man" program makes ISO-Latin-1 cat files. The default console
 > font is ASCII, and the result is that the continuation hyphen comes
 > out as an inverted exclamation mark under 1.1 . I can have 1.1 set
 > the console font differently, or we can have "man" output
 > ASCII. What should we do?

Hmm... for default case console-only users ISO-Latin-1 support
throught would probably be a minor win.  For people that interoperate
with a number of machines, ASCII is a big win.

Also, if I want my manual pages to look really nice, I use man -Tps --
the default settings really are optimized for robustness, not beauty.

I think I prefer ASCII as the default.

--
Raul