Re: man uses ISO-Latin-1, but the default console font is ASCII

Rob Leslie writes:
>>The "man" program makes ISO-Latin-1 cat files. The default console font
>>is ASCII, and the result is that the continuation hyphen comes out
>>as an inverted exclamation mark under 1.1 . I can have 1.1 set the console
>>font differently, or we can have "man" output ASCII. What should we do?
>
>A similar problem occurs within xterms. I would prefer `man' produce
>ASCII.

Seconded.  ASCII is the lowest common denominator, and there are
probably still terminals out there somewhere incapable of doing any
better.

OTOH it would be nice if the console (and xterm and rxvt and ...)
displayed Latin 1 rather than anything else; and furthermore it would
be good if it did it in such a way that the problem we've seen in the
past with getting the wrong font for the display size never happened.

(i.e. check the display size is sane for the font before installing
it.)

--
Richard Kettlewell
richard@elmail.co.uk                    http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/