Re: Bug#932: Pine over-encodes files and auto-requests document

Dale,
This issue has been discussed numerous times on comp.mail.mime and
comp.mail.misc, but here's the executive summary:

 o It is true that Pine encodes all attachments, even text.
 o The intended way to send text files that (a) don't need to arrive
   exactly intact or (b) are going to non-MIME-capable destinations
   is indeed to use ^R rather than MIME-attach.
 o There are excellent reasons for this behavior: we want Pine to be
   known for dependability, and attaching a file in Pine should be
   just as reliable as transferring via FTP.  Since the Internet message
   infrastructure is not completely 7bit safe, this goal requires
   encoding even 7bit files.

As you can see, we strongly disagree with the characterization that Pine
is broken at all in this regard, much less "severely" broken.

-teg