Re: Volunteer for Debian Cnews package? (configuration)

> Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 19:12:58 -0500 (EST)
> From: Nick Busigin <nick@xwing.org>

> On 25 Feb 1996, Otmar Lendl wrote:
>
> > But I do wonder how I make a debian package out of something requiring
> > so much configuration.
>
> Well, uucp also requires a bit of configuration to get it working, but
> much of that is left to the system administrator.  I think that the same
> approach could be used with Cnews.  As long as sufficient documentation
> gets placed in /usr/doc/ and examples in /usr/doc/examples it should be
> o.k.. You have to leave _some_ of the fun up to the person installing
> the system. ;-)

Actually, this is not the way it should be.  I released the uucp package
without a configuration script because that was better than not releasing
it.  I have a plan for a ``uucpconfig'' script, but before I implement it,
I am checking with the taylor-uucp mailing list to see if there is one
already in existence.  When I have written this or found one that can be
modified and redistributed, perhaps it can become the base for a
``cnewsconfig'' script.

Please do not let the lack of a configuration script become the stumbling-
block for a cnews package.  Get cnews running and release it.  Then go back
and add functionality.

Good Luck!

--
  David H. Silber     dhs@firefly.com     Project: Debian GNU/Linux (dbackup)