Volunteer for Debian Cnews package?

On 25 Feb 1996, Otmar Lendl wrote:

> LEUT Mark Purcell  <purcell@rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >Is anyone doing any work on INN at the moment??  Can I assist?
> >A lot of the Systems I run for both work and home rely on a News system
> >being present and this is the major impediment towards large scale
> >adoption of Debian by my users.

I believe that Miquel van Smoorenburg is or was working on a debian
INN package.

> I *might* be doing one for Cnews since I've grown to like it much
> more on my sneaker-net home newsserver than yet another big fat daemon.

I was thinking of volunteering to do this one myself.  Perhaps we could
collaborate?

> But I do wonder how I make a debian package out of something requiring
> so much configuration.

Well, uucp also requires a bit of configuration to get it working, but
much of that is left to the system administrator.  I think that the same
approach could be used with Cnews.  As long as sufficient documentation
gets placed in /usr/doc/ and examples in /usr/doc/examples it should be
o.k.. You have to leave _some_ of the fun up to the person installing
the system. ;-)

Best regards,

                                 Nick

Nick Busigin                                                nick@xwing.org