Re: Cern-httpd and apache

'Ian Jackson wrote:'

>Steve Greenland writes ("Re: Cern-httpd and apache"):
>> So should I change the init.d script to cern-httpd? It seems like
>> I should also change the configuration file to cern-httpd.conf (I
>> think it's currently httpd.conf, can't check this right now)
>
>Yes, I think so.  (However, you were first - I'd say that it's more
>true that apache should change.)

Both should change.  Neither cern-httpd nor apache needs to conflict
with any other Web server (let alone each other).  No particluar web
server should create generic-sounding directories like /var/web or
/usr/lib/httpd either.  Also, the log files should have distinct names
(cern-httpd.log, apache-httpd.log or whatever).  There are many many
httpd's out there.  A little bit of careful design now and it will be
easier to package any of the others.

Please clean up BOTH cern-httpd and appache!

>> Or is this a place to use update-alternatives? Somehow, that doesn't
>> feel right.
>
>No, I don't think it is.

Conceptually, it is right.  But practically it doesn't make any sense.
It isn't a program that is used interactively nor in scripts
(excepting start-up scripts of course).

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS
cjf@netaxs.com                     |    (Philadelphia Area Computer Society)