Pine packaging questions.

Thanks to Rolf Rossius for his help and patches on the Pine package. When
I retrieved the source package the build script provided with the
upstream source failed to build anything, and debian.rules wasn't even
set executable. Thanks to Rolf I was able to untangel the build issues so
the source package would build. After some patching and fixing of
debian.rules and the control files debian.rules will now build the
packages pine and pico. I am left with several issues to resolve yet
before I release these packages:

1.

The file 'debian.conffiles' specifies two files; /etc/pine.conf, and
/etc/pine.conf.fixed. Now, I can create the pine.conf file from my own
/etc/pine.conf, but it isn't clear to me what purpose the pine.conf.fixed
file is supposed to perform, so I'm not sure what it should look like.
Any ideas?

2.

One of the changes to the build process involved a switch from termcap to
ncurses. I had installed all of the ncurses3.0 packages before the build
and it still failed because there was no libncurses. Poking around a bit
I found the .so.3.0 file in /lib and made a link in /usr/lib. This fixed
the problem.
My question is: Is the user going to be forced to fix this link for
him/her self? Shouldn't the ncurses3.0 package be doing this? Should I
submit a bug report?

3.

This brings us to the point of dependancies. The old package declares
smail|sendmail to be dependancies for Pine. IMHO pine does not depend on
any mail agent (you could fill INBOX via FTP and pine would not care) for
its proper operation. It does, however, depend on libc5 and ncurses
shared libraries. Aren't these the proper candidates for depends? Don't
we have a suggests field where mail-delivery-agent can be declared?

4.

Finally, the pine source package builds pine and pico, but it also builds
a c-client library and imapd. These things don't appear to end up in
either the pico, or the pine packages. Is pine responsible for installing
imap?

TIA,

Dwarf