Re: Pine packaging questions.

Dale Scheetz writes:

>The file 'debian.conffiles' specifies two files; /etc/pine.conf, and
>/etc/pine.conf.fixed. Now, I can create the pine.conf file from my
>own /etc/pine.conf, but it isn't clear to me what purpose the
>pine.conf.fixed file is supposed to perform, so I'm not sure what it
>should look like.  Any ideas?

IIRC pine.conf.fixed contains Pine defaults which cannot be overridden
by ordinary users, whereas pine.conf contains defaults that can be so
overridden.

>One of the changes to the build process involved a switch from
>termcap to ncurses. I had installed all of the ncurses3.0 packages
>before the build and it still failed because there was no
>libncurses. Poking around a bit I found the .so.3.0 file in /lib and
>made a link in /usr/lib. This fixed the problem.
>My question is: Is the user going to be forced to fix this link for
>him/her self? Shouldn't the ncurses3.0 package be doing this? Should
>I submit a bug report?

Sounds like an ncurses bug to me.

>This brings us to the point of dependancies. The old package declares
>smail|sendmail to be dependancies for Pine. IMHO pine does not depend
>on any mail agent (you could fill INBOX via FTP and pine would not
>care) for its proper operation. It does, however, depend on libc5 and
>ncurses shared libraries. Aren't these the proper candidates for
>depends? Don't we have a suggests field where mail-delivery-agent can
>be declared?

Mail user agents should generally depend on a mail transport agent:

Depends: smail | sendmail | mail-transport-agent

The fact that it's possible to send mail from Pine using SMTP may make
a difference, but: ?

>Finally, the pine source package builds pine and pico, but it also
>builds a c-client library and imapd. These things don't appear to end
>up in either the pico, or the pine packages. Is pine responsible for
>installing imap?

I don't think it ought to be.  There ought to be a package which
contains imapd however.

As for the client library, does any other software use it?  If so it
might be an idea to make it a shared library and put it in a separate
package.

--
Richard Kettlewell
http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/                    richard@uk.geeks.org

		   It was definitely murder - but was it art?