Re: de-supporting the 1.2 kernel

On 25-Jan-96 Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>>You (Fernando Alegre) wrote:
>> I would like Debian to be cautious and not fall to the urge to have the
>> latest features, which sometimes are not that well tested. I think a
>> distribution needs to be somewhat stable.
>>
>> Look at what Alan Cox said in linux-kernel:
>>
>> >1.3.58 crashes all the time, almost always in disk I/O when other things are
>> >doing memory allocation. Maybe the asynchronous page/swap is a little to
>> >asynchronous.
>
>Yes. I think we should "vote" for a stable kernel. After all there
>were stable and unstable kernels during the 1.1.x series too. We
>were running a 1.1.64 kernel on a Linux newsserver that stayed up
>for weeks. Right now our news server is running 1.3.57, which is pretty
>stable (up 10 days now). However 1.3.58 on another machine crashes
>every few hours. If 1.3.59 is stable (runs on a news or login server for
>more than a week) by all means, use it. And don't make the mistake
>to use 1.3.60 without testing "since 1.3.59 was stable too".
>
>Mike.
>--

My Two Cents' Worth:

If we really want stability, we turn off the system - Just joking!

1.2.13 is so broke at this time and so anti-ELF that it really is a pain for me
support.

If you have noticed, I do not release every patch coming from Linus (Yes Master!
).
There is a reason for it.  Until the darn thing compiles, runs my developmnt mac
hine,
my web server and my news/ftp machine for a week or so, I do not release it.

If you want, I can add a status note to released kernels.  In this spirit, 1.3.5
7 is
fine.  I am going to start testing 1.3.59 tonight.  Unless you absolutely need t
he
patches in 1.3.59 or inseparably in love with 1.2.12, I suggest 1.3.57.

Pragmatic Opinion:

Please do not expect 1.2.14 or any substantial work on 1.2.  1.3 is (theoretical
ly) in
code freeze and 2.0 will be out soon.  Do not expect 2.0 to be mother of all sta
bility.
If you want stable (i did NOT say good) code, get NiceTry.  No more than 1057 co
mpiles
to commercial release, no more than 1 commercial release per year.  It even supp
orts
PPP!

Sincerely Yours,
Simon

Simon Shapiro                       i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.677.2911                        Beaverton, OR 97008