Re: de-supporting the 1.2 kernel

You (Fernando Alegre) wrote:
> I would like Debian to be cautious and not fall to the urge to have the
> latest features, which sometimes are not that well tested. I think a
> distribution needs to be somewhat stable.
>
> Look at what Alan Cox said in linux-kernel:
>
> >1.3.58 crashes all the time, almost always in disk I/O when other things are
> >doing memory allocation. Maybe the asynchronous page/swap is a little to
> >asynchronous.

Yes. I think we should "vote" for a stable kernel. After all there
were stable and unstable kernels during the 1.1.x series too. We
were running a 1.1.64 kernel on a Linux newsserver that stayed up
for weeks. Right now our news server is running 1.3.57, which is pretty
stable (up 10 days now). However 1.3.58 on another machine crashes
every few hours. If 1.3.59 is stable (runs on a news or login server for
more than a week) by all means, use it. And don't make the mistake
to use 1.3.60 without testing "since 1.3.59 was stable too".

Mike.
--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/