Re: cpp and gcc are both providing elf-gcc

On Fri, 19 Jan 1996, brian (b.c.) white wrote:

> >> Hmm ... no.  I have installed gcc, but not cpp - to be honest, I'm a bit
> >> confused about this ... doesn't gcc include the preprocessor?  If so,
> >> maybe gcc should provide cpp, which would solve the problem; if not, how
> >> am I managing to use gcc without cpp?
> >
> >Hmm, I like this idea even more than keeping them separate.
>
> The installed "cpp" goes in /usr/bin while gcc puts its preproccessor
> somewhere under /usr/lib/gcc-2.7.2/...  The should be totally
> independant packages.  I don't see why the "cpp" packages is listed
> as providing anything or why gcc should depend upon cpp since in puts
> its preprocessor in its own directory.

Look, as I've pointed out before, I'm no expert on this; but a cursory
examination of my system reveals that /usr/bin/cpp is a symlink to
../lib/gcc-lib-i486-linux/2.7.2/cpp ... this must have been installed as
part of gcc.  It therefore seems that, if what you have written is
correct, cpp and gcc MUST conflict - or else use Ian Jackson's new
override facility in dpkg ...

What I was trying to suggest is this: you should install EITHER gcc or
cpp, depending on whether you want the functionality of gcc.  These
should conflict, and both provide cpp.  (I realise that conflicting with
a package you provide could be a problem; if so, cpp should be renamed
to, say, cpp-only, and then gcc and cpp-only could both provide cpp,
which other things could depend on).

Does that make better sense than my previous half-sentence description? :-)

Nikhil.