Re: cpp and gcc are both providing elf-gcc

    >>> Hmm ... no.  I have installed gcc, but not cpp - to be honest, I'm a bit
    >>> confused about this ... doesn't gcc include the preprocessor?  If so,
    >>> maybe gcc should provide cpp, which would solve the problem; if not, how
    >>> am I managing to use gcc without cpp?
    >>
    >> Hmm, I like this idea even more than keeping them separate.

    Brian> The installed "cpp" goes in /usr/bin while gcc puts its preproccessor
    Brian> somewhere under /usr/lib/gcc-2.7.2/...  The should be totally
    Brian> independant packages.  I don't see why the "cpp" packages is listed
    Brian> as providing anything or why gcc should depend upon cpp since in puts
    Brian> its preprocessor in its own directory.

That's exactly what I meant when responding to Nikhil in private email. I guess
my english wasn't clear enough. Here is my answer:

    me> Seems like you are discussing this partly in private mail (Erik ->
    me> Nikhil) and partly on the list (Nikhil -> Erik), so take the liberty
    me> to drop in.

    Erik> [...]
    Erik> Did you try to install the packages. When I was
    Erik> installing them they conflicted.

    me> As you pointed out, both packages provide and conflict with
    me> elf-gcc, yielding a conflict when installing both. This was an
    me> oversight on my part, the new cpp package shouldn't provide
    me> elf-gcc and it should conflict only with pre-2.7.2-3 gcc's
    me> (including elf-gcc).

    Nikhil> Hmm ... no.  I have installed gcc, but not cpp - to be
    Nikhil> honest, I'm a bit confused about this ... doesn't gcc
    Nikhil> include the preprocessor?  If so, maybe gcc should provide
    Nikhil> cpp, which would solve the problem; if not, how am I
    Nikhil> managing to use gcc without cpp?

    me> There are some packages that expect a C preprocessor in
    me> /lib/cpp resp. /usr/bin/cpp. Until now both were symbolic
    me> links to /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2/cpp, requiring gcc
    me> to be installed when you wanted to use these packages.

    me> Since gcc is quite a small binary (~70k) it doesn't matter
    me> much to have a copy in /usr/bin with /lib/cpp being a symlink
    me> to the copy.

    me> Packages using the C preprocessor (e.g. /lib/cpp) for macro
    me> substitution can now depend on cpp instead on the much bigger
    me> gcc they should have depended upon until now.

    me> The gcc package installs the preprocessor in it's usual place,
    me> so the compiler will work without installing the cpp package
    me> (otherwise it should depend on it).

    me> The Conflicts: control field for cpp now makes sure a
    me> previously installed compiler gets uninstalled thereby
    me> removing /lib/cpp and /usr/bin/cpp before cpp is installed.

    me> I hope my english was good enough to make things clear.

It obviously  wasn't :(

    me> gcc-2.7.2-5 & cpp-2.7.2-5 are built, I'll upload them to
    me> chiark as soon as phone rates drop at 2100 MET (#@!*@!
    me> Telekom)

Greetings
  Siggy