Re: ncurses-1.9.8a ELF release

> > There is no symlink for libcurses.so.  There should be one in the -dev
> > package.
>
> OK.  Jeff Noxon mentioned that a link for libtermcap.so might also be in
> order---thoughts?

I have been told that this is undesirable for some autoconfed programs
with emacs being the most notable example.  I don't remember all of
the details but it has to do with forcing autoconf to use the
curses/termlib interface to ncurses instead of the (incomplete/buggy?)
termcap interface.

> > The runtime package installs the shared libraries as lib*.so.3.0.new
> > and then renames them to lib*.so.3.0 in the postinst script.  This is
> > fine for not disturbing running programs when the package is being
> > upgraded, but there is no provision for deleting the files when the
> > package is removed.  Again, I'd like to hear Ian Jackson's thoughts on
> > adding special installation support for shared libraries to dpkg.
>
> For the moment I guess I'll re-rename them in the prerm.

Ian Jackson, are you there?  I'd *really* like to hear your opinions
on this.

David