Re: ncurses build options...

> > Also, we need to decide on the package naming conventions for shared
> > library packages.
>
> Well, tell me if this seems to make sense:
>
> ncurses-base-1.9.7a-1.deb will contain a minimum set of terminfo files.
> It depends on nothing.
>
> ncurses2-1.9.7a-1.deb will be the shared library package. It is ncurses2
> because the major portion of the soname is 2. It will depend on libc5 and
> ncurses-base.

This should be ncurses21-* (or ncurses2.1-*).  As was already noted,
the major version for the current ncurses is really 2.1.  FYI, with
ELF shared libraries, the major version if effectively defined by the
soname when the library is built.

> ncurses-dev-1.9.7a-1.deb wll contain the shared libs, header files and man
> pages for library routines.  It will depend on ncurses2.

This should be in lock step with ncurses21.  It should also depend on
libc5-dev.

> ncurses-bin-1.9.7a-1.deb will contain the terminfo database manipulation
> files.  It will depend on ncurses2.

It should also depend on libc5.

> > The runtime package needs to contain the shared library major version
> > number in its name, and we need to be prepared to install several
> > versions.
>
> Done.  Is it necessary or appropriate to have ncurses-dev be
> ncurses2-dev?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't plan to support
> people compiling with multiple versions, so it should be sufficient to
> make sure that ncurses-dev merely has the correct dependencies, right?

If we support multiple shared library versions, we should allow users
to install the -dev package for any of them.  Of course, they should
only be allowed to have one of them installed at any one time.

I chose to put the major versions in the package names for my Tcl/Tk
packages (tcl74-deb and tk40-dev) for two reasons.  First, it makes it
much more obvious for users which -dev package goes with which runtime
package.  Second, the ftp administrator will be less likely to
accidentally delete the -dev packages for older, but still supported,
versions if they have different package names from the new ones.

David