Re: Conflicting with a range of revisions...

Michael Alan Dorman writes ("Conflicting with a range of revisions..."):
> Well, I've decided to return to Matt Porters' previous split between
> minicom and lrzsz.
>
> One side-effect of this is that I need to make the updated lrzsz package
> conflict just with minicom-1.71-[1..2] (the ones that included lrzsz).  I
> can't seem to make it do so.  I've tried specifying:
>
> CONFLICTS: minicom (<1.71-2) | minicom (>1.6)
>
> And it doesn't work.  It tells me that | is not allowed in conflicts.  If
> I use a comma, it passes the < test (since I've got 1.71-3 installed), but
> then it sees the > test and croaks which is exactly what it should do if a
> comma is OR.
>
> Is this just not doable?  If not, I'll just make it conflict with
> (<1.71-2), but I thought I'd ask first.

`|' is not allowed in conflicts; `,' is used to mean OR.

What you wrote was equivalent to
"this package conflicts with minicom (versions 1.71-2 and earlier),
 and it also conficts with minicom (versions 1.6 and later)."

Clearly this covers all versions of minicom.

There is no way to express `conflicts with versions nn to mm'.  If you
really need it you could list the versions explicitly, but I'd be
inclined just to say
 Conflicts: minicom (<1.71-2)

Ian.