Date: Sat, 12 Aug 95 16:53 BST
From: Ian Jackson <iwj10@cus.cam.ac.uk>
To: Debian developers list <debian-devel@Pixar.com>
Subject: Package construction Guidelines

It seems to me that these are now very seriously out of date.

Is anyone working on a revision ?

Amongst the issues that need to be addressed are:
 - start-stop-daemon, init.d, rc.d, rc.misc, update-rc.d [+]
 - extended descriptions
 - logfile rotation [+]
 - release announcements
 - dpkg-handled versus postinst-handled and frequently-modified
   configuration files [+]
 - HTML descriptions [*] [+]
 - X library handling [+]
 - robustness and error checking in maintainer scripts.
 - competing-package solutions (vi, &c) [*] [+]
 - Various things to do with dpkg's maintainer scripts (some [+])
 - The Source field.
 - Virtual packages, including procedure for allocating virtual
   package names and for double-checking control files [*],
   and providing good defaults by naming packages explicitly [+].

[*] These things are still under discussion.
[+] These things are applicable only to certain packages, and are
perhaps best dealt with in appendices written by relevant package
maintainers, with a strong requirement in the Guidelines proper to
read appropriate appendices.

Ian.