Postgres file locations

Hi folks,

I would like some help with deciding on a location for the files
associated with the Postgres package that I am putting together.  I have
a few ideas that might work, but as I have limited experience with the
way other big DBMS's are configured I would like some other ideas.

In the original sources the entire tree lives under /usr/local/postgres.
 That is the source code, the binaries, the shared libraries, the
include files, and the databases all install there.  There is a special
user, (the DBA usually postgres,  uid 6), that has /usr/local/postgres as
the home directory.

I suggest the following

/usr/lib/                    shared library
/usr/include/postgres/       include files
/var/postgres/               database files
/usr/bin/                    postgres binaries
/home/<dba>/                 source tree

Does this seem reasonable?  What major gaff have I made?  Am I using
/var correctly?  There are about 15 binaries that get installed in
/usr/bin.  Is that too many?

In the binary package  I plan to prompt the configurer for a username to
have as the DBA.  Then the package will create that user if they dont
already exist.  Does that seem wise?

Thanks for the input.
Guy R. Thomas                                 Native Education Centre
Library Coordinator                           285 East Fifth Avenue
gthomas@native-ed.bc.ca                       Vancouver B. C.
V:(604) 873-3772 x.311 --- F:(604) 873-9152   V5T 1H2