Postgres file locations

Hi folks,

I would like some help with deciding on a location for the files
associated with the Postgres package that I am putting together.  I have
a few ideas that might work, but as I have limited experience with the
way other big DBMS's are configured I would like some other ideas.

In the original sources the entire tree lives under /usr/local/postgres.
 That is the source code, the binaries, the shared libraries, the
include files, and the databases all install there.  There is a special
user, (the DBA usually postgres,  uid 6), that has /usr/local/postgres as
the home directory.

I suggest the following

/usr/lib/                    shared library
/usr/include/postgres/       include files
/var/postgres/               database files
/usr/bin/                    postgres binaries
/home/<dba>/                 source tree

Does this seem reasonable?  What major gaff have I made?  Am I using
/var correctly?  There are about 15 binaries that get installed in
/usr/bin.  Is that too many?

In the binary package  I plan to prompt the configurer for a username to
have as the DBA.  Then the package will create that user if they dont
already exist.  Does that seem wise?

Thanks for the input.
---
Guy R. Thomas                                 Native Education Centre
Library Coordinator                           285 East Fifth Avenue
gthomas@native-ed.bc.ca                       Vancouver B. C.
V:(604) 873-3772 x.311 --- F:(604) 873-9152   V5T 1H2