Re: Suggestions for http://www.debian.org/ home page

> Date: Fri, 28 Jul 95 09:10:53 PDT
> From: mitchell@mdd.comm.mot.com (Bill Mitchell)
> Subject: Re: Suggestions for http://www.debian.org/ home page
> > > [repeats someone's earlier suggestion for a debian user local home page]
> > This has been done, there is a default web page on my computer now.
> I don't follow that "this has been done".  Do you mean that I should
> now have a default debain user home page on my recently-installed
> 0.93R6 system?  If so, where is it?
/home/httpd-data/Welcome.html (or file://localhost/Welcome.html)

It's created by /usr/sbin/httpdconfig which is included in:

>    Please enter Lynx's default URL to use if none is given
>    Default is http://www.debian.org/
> That's not terribly useful for a user who hasn't set anything up
> locally and has a system which is not net-connected.
> I'd like to see a debian-provided local home page be the install-time
> setup default, possibly with the user able to override that by providing
> an alternate (or perhaps alternative ;-) filename.
I've been wondering if there's a way we could make the default home-
page more "intelligent".  I've been thinking about using re-direction
to make access to Debian-specific URLs faster when there are multiple
mirror sites for each doc.

An example - from /home/httpd-data/Welcome.html

> <H2>The Debian GNU/Linux FAQ</H2>
> The <A HREF="http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~jdassen/debian-faq_toc.html";>
> frequently asked questions</A> list for Debian GNU/Linux is a valuable
> resource.
Ok, this is the URL for the FAQ, for me (in Ohio, USA) it takes a
while to load.  Chances are good that there's a copy of this doc
on ftp.debian.org or a mirror, and that copy would, probably, load

If Welcome.html had a redirection to
file://localhost/Debian-FAQ-location.html we could then apply some
logic to determine the contents of Debian-FAQ-location.html.  We
know the timezone the system is in, and the domain,  so we should
be able to "guess" which archive to redirect to get the actual document.

Another example - also from /home/httpd-data/Welcome.html

> <H2>Debian GNU/Linux Bug Report Logs</H2>
> Think you've found a bug?  Check one of these locations to see if
> someone else has already discovered it:
> <UL>
>   <LI> Debian bugs at the
>        <A HREF="http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/iwj10/debian-bugs/";>
>        University of Cambridge</A>.
>   <LI> Debian bugs at
>        <A HREF="http://www.cps.cmich.edu/~streeter/debian-bugs/";>
>        Central Michigan University</A>.
>   <LI> Debian bugs at the
>        <A HREF="http://www.engr.wisc.edu/~streeter/debian-bugs/";>
>        University of Wisconsin</A>.
> </UL>
> Enjoy browsing!

Replace all three of these URL's with one that redirects to:
file://localhost/Debian-BRL-location.html.  Now use the same logic
to eliminate www.cl.cam.ac.uk as my system's default location
for this doc - wrong domain.  I'm in the same timezone as the
Central Michigan site so that would be the URL we'd redirect to in

The benefits of this are that the Welcome page could have more
information with less clutter (ie. more room for cute, little Gnus.
Oops, wrong page - "...guess I don't know my own strength!")
and would provide the requested doc from the "closest" source.  The
caveats are that this is a rather unorthodox approach, and it does
add some complexity to the system.

Charles A. Stickelman				<stick@richnet.net>