Re: infinitetux_1.1-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Am 02.01.20 um 01:01 schrieb Scott Kitterman:
[...]
> There's also this from README.markdown that I would think is concerning:
>
> "I've replaced all of the proprietary artwork with stuff I created or downloaded"
>
> It seems that upstream thinks that if they downloaded artwork off the internet somewhere, that makes it freely licensed.  Those probably all need checking to see what's distributable and what's not.

qbancoffee, who is the upstream maintainer for infinitetux, did a really
good job in clarifying where the source material comes from. Please just
take a look at debian/copyright where all files are documented.

I suppose the confusion stems from some of the comments, but those are
really comments in debian/copyright that should document the history of
this project. Essential are only the license paragraphs.

In short: The source code was originally granted to the public domain by
Markus Persson, the same guy who wrote Minecraft by the way.

There is a link to the original source tarball which includes the
original license that just stated:

"The source code for Infinite Mario Bros is PUBLIC DOMAIN. Do with it
what you want.
The art resources for Infinite Mario Bros is OWNED BY NINTENDO, and is
probably illegal to copy without permission."

qbancoffee completely removed the original artwork from Nintendo. Only
the public domain source code remained. He modified some bits and now
the GPL-3 license covers all source code, which is in accordance of what
is allowed within public domain licensed code.

There are also links to the original artwork modified by qbancoffee. You
just have to verify that.

There is nothing wrong with this package. Actually it is one of the
simplest Java games I have ever seen because it doesn't rely on
third-party libraries.

Regards,

Markus