Re: Please sponsor my game bug=923180

On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 12:05:36PM +0100, Ricardo Mones wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 11:13:34PM +0100, Markus Koschany wrote:
> > Hello Pedro,
> >
> > Am 05.03.19 um 15:14 schrieb Pedro Pena:
> > > Hello Markus,
> […]
> > > I also have an issue with the deb helper version. When I change to a
> > > version higher than 10, debuild creates fatal errors.
> > > dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies: debhelper (>=
> > > 11)
> > >
> > > Is it o.k. to leave it as 10 for now?
> >
> > You can even use debhelper 12 in Debian unstable. It works for me just
> > fine. It is recommended to use an up-to-date Debian unstable/sid
> > system for development because older versions or derivatives like
> > Ubuntu don't provide all the features you need. Compat level 11 or 12
> > are not available in Debian 9.
>
> A couple of notes on this:
>
> • Don't need to migrate your system to unstable: just use a sid chroot
>   and cowbuilder/pbuilder to build the packages.
>
> • Seems that jumping to 12 is not recommended at this point:
>   https://nthykier.wordpress.com/2019/01/04/debhelper-compat-12-is-now-released/

FWIW, I've bumped the debhelper compat level to 12 on all of my packages
and so far I have not seen any problems.  I think the sentence that you
refer to is meant more as a strongly-worded warning mostly so that
people will notice it, so that the authors are satisifed that they have
made people aware of the fact that moving to compat level 12 *might*, in
theory, expose some bugs in debhelper.  I do not think the debhelper
maintainers actually *believe* that there are any serious bugs in
the handling of compat level 12, this is more of disclaiming
resposibility or something.

I think that for new packages going straight to compat level 12 (with
the debhelper-compat (= 12) shorthand; this even works for 11) should be
fine, provided the package maintainer looks carefully through the build
log and through the contents of the built binary packages.  In addition,
diffoscope (from the reproducible builds folks) is a great tool that can
really help with that - build a package with your current debian/*
files, stash it in a directory, change the compat level, build a new
package, run diffoscope on the *source.changes or the *.changes file.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@{ringlet.net,debian.org,FreeBSD.org} pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13