Re: About your minetest-mod-* packages

Hi,

On 03/06/2016 12:55, Dominik George wrote:

I see no benefit in getting upstreams of minetest modules to do releases. From experience, most won't, and that's also not how things are done in the gaming world.

I also think your getting a mesecons release was pointless - it's just a random commit that got a name. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think upstream did anything special for it, it is not a stable release or anything. So picking a commit myself is just as good.

There would be nothing to package without upstream and upstream knows better than me how good their current repo is. I respect upstream, ask things politely and generally get answered kindly -- I might not always get what I want, but close.

The story of the nether mod I just sent an ITP for is a good example ( https://github.com/PilzAdam/nether/issues/11 ) :
(1) I asked for official releases 19 days ago
(2) upstream answered 12 days ago that now wasn't a good time to cut a release (ie: taking a git commit wouldn't be good) (3) upstream tagged a release 4 days ago because they thought they had something acceptable ; (4) I only find the time to write an ITP (checking there isn't one already) now ;
(5) I'll work on packaging sometime today or in the coming days.
(6) I'll probably get it in the NEW queue at the end of next week.

Cheers,

Snark on #debian-games