Re: Concern about racism and sexism in Supertuxkart 0.9

On Sun, 3 May 2015 16:26:54 Marko Lindqvist wrote:
> On 3 May 2015 at 14:40, Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> wrote:
> > Freedom is about as little censorship as possible (except extreme cases).
> > Freedom is what we should be protecting even if it leaves someone
> > offended.
> > That is the price and it is just not possible to please everybody with
> > censorship.
>
>  Whose Freedom you are talking about?

Freedom from unnecessary censorship.

>  Sounds like you're saying that
> "Upstream should be free to release anything via Debian."

Not at all.

>  However, upstream has made it free software, which means that
> "Downstream (including Debian) has freedom to change it." They would
> have not chosen such a license if their intent was not to give that
> freedom to Debian.

Introducing unnecessary changes to content, if motivated merely by unhealthy
desire to censor, would be a disservice to our users and disrespect to
upstream.

It is important to maintain good relationships with upstream -- believe it or
not but staying it touch with upstream helps.
Who would like to work with us if we start making changes to fit someone's
_taste_? Is this what Debian is about? Is that really how you see maintainer's
duties and responsibilities?

Those who brought this issue should have open a bug upstream and stop wasting
our time here. This is not a Debian issue to begin with.

 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

Good luck happens when preparedness meets opportunity.