Re: ufo-ai: can we make it?

Hello Hans,

On Sat, 06. Jul 08:53 Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
[...]
> >It appears the UFO developers care a lot about tracking and documenting
> >licenses. A very promising and highly active project. If this page was
> >correct, http://ufoai.org/licenses/, we would only face issues with
> >content that is licensed under CC-BY-SA-2.0 and CC-BY-SA-2.5. We are
> >talking about eight sound files and seventeen images. I am optimistic
> >here and think it should be doable to remove or replace them.
>
> My first point of action on these would be to track down the original
> authors and ask them to re-license under CC-BY-SA-3.0, rather then go
> looking for replacements.

Absolutely. However i fear if it was that easy, upstream would have
already done it. It highly depends on how intrusive the changes are but
if they are rather small (25 files out of more than 5500), i am all for
taking action and pushing the game to Debian main as soon as possibe
where it is fully endorsed and supported, instead of uploading it to
contrib and non-free first or waiting for years until the license
issues are finally resolved.

I have recently had a closer look at Fedora's games portfolio and i saw
that Funny Boat hasn't been packaged yet. Similar problem, non-free
sound files. Debian made the decision to remove the files and i think
that didn't lessen the fun. So i think it is always a case by case
decision and it is most important to communicate and document those
changes somewhere thus people understand why they had to be done.

@Dmitry

Ufo and FreeOrion are a good match. I put the game on the todo-list. :)

Regards,

Markus