Re: ufo-ai: can we make it?

Hi,

On 07/06/2013 10:43 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:
Hello Hans,

On Sat, 06. Jul 08:53 Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
[...]
It appears the UFO developers care a lot about tracking and documenting
licenses. A very promising and highly active project. If this page was
correct, http://ufoai.org/licenses/, we would only face issues with
content that is licensed under CC-BY-SA-2.0 and CC-BY-SA-2.5. We are
talking about eight sound files and seventeen images. I am optimistic
here and think it should be doable to remove or replace them.

My first point of action on these would be to track down the original
authors and ask them to re-license under CC-BY-SA-3.0, rather then go
looking for replacements.

Absolutely. However i fear if it was that easy, upstream would have
already done it.

That assumes that upstream is aware that CC-BY-SA < 3.0 is a problem,
which they may not be. IE in Fedora CC_BY_SA < 3.0 is fine. They certainly
seem to have done their best to get their licensing in order. So I would
not be surprised if they are simply not aware that CC_BY_SA < 3.0 is]
considered non-free by *some* Linux distributions.

<snip>

I have recently had a closer look at Fedora's games portfolio and i saw
that Funny Boat hasn't been packaged yet. Similar problem, non-free
sound files.

I'm not sure that this is missing from Fedora because of license reasons,
Fedora once used to have a pretty active Games team, but most of those
involved have moved over to doing other things (including myself more or
less), so chances are it simply is not packaged due to lack of man power.

Regards,

Hans