Re: M.A.R.S. (was Re: Barbie Seahorse Adventures)

Hi!

On 02.10.2013 10:47, Hans de Goede wrote:
[...]
>> ae_AlMothnna-Bold.ttf -> DejaVuSans.ttf (fonts-dejavu)
>> gargi.ttf -> Gargi.ttf (fonts-gargi)
>> tahoma.ttf -> Norasi.ttf (fonts-tlwg-norasi)
>> Ubuntu-R.ttf -> DejaVuSans.ttf (fonts-dejavu)
>> wqy-microhei.ttc -> wqy-microhei.ttc (ttf-wqy-microhei)
>
> About the fonts:
>
> I plan to do something similar in the Fedora packages, but I think we
> also need something which will work out of the box for people building
> from source / for other platforms. This is also important in order for
> our changes to get accepted by upstream.
>
> Are you aware that the different fonts are used for different
> translations of the game? See: data/locales/locales.conf

Yes, I am.

> Does your replacement for ae_AlMothnna have full glyph coverage for
> arabic? And likewise does Norasi.ttf have full symbol coverage for
> Thai?

I'm neither a native speaker of Arabic nor Thai so I simply compared the
fonts and made a sight check. Both, DejavuSans and Norasi, seem to be
fit for the job.

As far as I know DejaVuSans.ttf doesn't cover all Arabic glyphs but the
translation is incomplete anyway. The Arabic glyphs look acceptable to
me if I use DejavuSans. There is also the fonts-arabeyes package that
contains the ae_AlMothnna fonts (unfortunately I couldn't find the -Bold
font anymore) and there is still fonts-kacst. However if I could avoid
it I would like to refrain from pulling in to many fonts packages as
long as the text is readable.

>> I'm quite satisfied with the result. It looks nice.
>
> Good, but note that you've likely only seen it in one language,
> so with only one font used.

Hmm, I'm quite sure that I had to use all earlier mentioned fonts to see
all the text displayed in the language menu.

[...]

>> If Obsidian Shell changed the license, I think that would be worth a
>> beer. :)
>
> They have just send me a mail agreeing to re-licensing to CC-BY-SA-3.0
>
> See:
> https://github.com/jwrdegoede/M.A.R.S./commit/985c26889f5397db90be84f4bb8316e6ceafa75e
>

> Note: I don't drink beer :)

Awesome. Chapeau! *hands over your favourite beverage* :)

> I believe this means that M.A.R.S. in my repository no longer contains any
> non free bits (note see the to do in my last commit), so thing are
> looking good.

Indeed. I also like the interface sounds, so there is not much left to
do. You will need this patch to make the game compile with SFML2.

https://github.com/thelaui/M.A.R.S./pull/2

I will send three other patches upstream to github's tracker (man page,
desktop file update and a patch for an issue with CMakeList.txt)

I'm looking forward to your pull request!

Regards,

Markus