Re: M.A.R.S. (was Re: Barbie Seahorse Adventures)
- To: Markus Koschany <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: M.A.R.S. (was Re: Barbie Seahorse Adventures)
- From: Hans de Goede <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:47:20 +0200
- Message-id: <[🔎] 524BDD98.email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <523DBC88.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <51DFF2D3.email@example.com> <51F6B746.firstname.lastname@example.org> <51F8D249.email@example.com> <CAKTje6EwGfZx3fXUHu1HF255K4X8fJSMedG+N4NA-1v1mBLiOg@mail.gmail.com> <51F8DCE4.firstname.lastname@example.org> <523DB0B8.email@example.com> <523DBC88.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 09/21/2013 05:34 PM, Markus Koschany wrote:
On 21.09.2013 16:44, Hans de Goede wrote:
I've started a fork of M.A.R.S. to make it DFSG free / match Fedora's
I've replaced the troublesome interface-sounds and 2 troublesome fonts
with Free replacements, see:
I've also documented all the font licenses and the origin of the new interface sounds in credits.txt.
I've done something similar. I removed all embedded font copies and replaced them with
symlinks to font packages in Debian.
ae_AlMothnna-Bold.ttf -> DejaVuSans.ttf (fonts-dejavu)
gargi.ttf -> Gargi.ttf (fonts-gargi)
tahoma.ttf -> Norasi.ttf (fonts-tlwg-norasi)
Ubuntu-R.ttf -> DejaVuSans.ttf (fonts-dejavu)
wqy-microhei.ttc -> wqy-microhei.ttc (ttf-wqy-microhei)
About the fonts:
I plan to do something similar in the Fedora packages, but I think we
also need something which will work out of the box for people building
from source / for other platforms. This is also important in order for
our changes to get accepted by upstream.
Are you aware that the different fonts are used for different
translations of the game? See: data/locales/locales.conf
Does your replacement for ae_AlMothnna have full glyph coverage for
arabic? And likewise does Norasi.ttf have full symbol coverage for
My plan is to patch the locales.conf code so that it can deal
with absolute paths, and then patch locales.conf at the distro
level to point to the distro fonts with absolute paths (rather
then using symlinks).
I'm quite satisfied with the result. It looks nice.
Good, but note that you've likely only seen it in one language,
so with only one font used.
Thanks for replacing the interface-sounds. I'll have a look at them soon.
I've already replaced the music with your recommendations Tenpel, Chrimson Blue
and tri-stikhii and Emptiness.ogg from Alexander Blu for the tutorial.
You can download the sources with
dget -x ftp://18.104.22.168/marsshooter/marsshooter_0.7.5+dfsg-1.dsc
or simply grab the original tarball here:
Perhaps you like this mix too.
Cool, but I'm afraid that this work (and some work I already did on
this too) has become obsolete, because ...
This leaves the music as something that needs replacement. I'm looking
into this now. I've mailed Obsidian Shell asking them for permission
to distribute under a different license. Since this may be a bit of
a long shot, I will also start looking into some alternatives.
If Obsidian Shell changed the license, I think that would be worth a beer. :)
They have just send me a mail agreeing to re-licensing to CC-BY-SA-3.0
Note: I don't drink beer :)
I believe this means that M.A.R.S. in my repository no longer contains any
non free bits (note see the to do in my last commit), so thing are looking good.