Re: plans for doom packages

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 05:37:13PM -0300, gustavo panizzo <gfa> wrote:
> right now, data packages call prboom (mostly) with parameters,
> i would like to change that so data packages call an executable named
> after the engine (doom, doom2, etc). that executable would be
> managed through alternatives system.

I'm a little confused, because that's how things work right now:

> /usr/share/applications/doom2-wad.desktop:
> Exec=doom -iwad /usr/share/games/doom/doom2.wad
>
> $ readlink -f $(which doom)
> /usr/games/chocolate-doom
>
> $ update-alternatives --list doom
> /usr/games/chocolate-doom
> /usr/games/prboom
> /usr/games/prboom-plus
> /usr/games/winmbf

> for that change, i've done some work on game-data-packager (is not
> finished yet), i'm willing to do the same for deng if needed
> vavoom is ready too

deng does not accept the same command-line options as doom.exe did, so I don't
think it should provide /usr/games/doom (or doom2) as an alternative. When
we cooked up the alternatives scheme I didn't anticipate engines breaking
the command-line conventions of the original engine, which has proven to
be a problem (specifically -iwad, but other switches might be assumed by
a future launcher we write or package or both)

vavoom does provide alternatives for /usr/games/doom (and boom) despite
breaking some of the command line conventions.