RE: Vote on NMU/commiting guidelines

> Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:22:33 -0700
> Subject: Re: Vote on NMU/commiting guidelines
> From: vincentc1208@gmail.com
> To: debian-devel-games@lists.debian.org
>
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> <snip>
> > I prefer a 'just do it' approach. We barely have enough humanpower to
> > keep up with our packages and any barriers to increasing that are bad.
> > Also 'just do it' is how the team has been organised up to now. If we
> > are adding all DDs to the team, they should be free to 'just do it' as
> > any person on the team should be.
>
> I agree with the above. As long as people act in good faith when
> contributing to the team, I feel that an additional set of guidelines
> is unnecessary. Debian needs less bureaucracy, not more.

I also agree.
If you make it complex or inconvenient, people are more likely to not bother.

>From my experience from managing a "boring to code" long established SDK, is the biggest excuse for not contributing is: "I do not have the time to contribute, but I love the SDK"

I usually interpret that as "It is tedious, and I have more interesting things to do in my free time."

On the other hand, If the intention is to prevent troublemakers uploading packages, maybe the http://wiki.debian.org/Games/VCS/Guidelines guidelines will assist.

Wikipedia has the "just do it" approach, and that works ... sometimes...

Thanks,
Mark Page.