Re: Debian Games Parties!

Hi,

I have written a first version of the web interface.  There currently is
no client-side scripting (it would probably be nice to have some
filtering eventually) and no style (it would be much better if there are
some colours depending on the state of a package).

I used the list of games from qa.debian.org/developer.php where the
games team is maintainer; I suppose that's all we need?

I installed things on alioth:
http://pkg-games.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/DebianGamesParty.cgi

When logging in on alioth, you can also see the source in
~/../../groups/pkg-games/cgi-bin/.

I had some nice locking mechanism to protect against database
corruption, but unfortunately the python module I used isn't installed
on alioth, so for the moment I disabled it.  It's important that locking
works before the thing is really used though.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 05:41:38PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> > A "games party" sounds like we get together and play games.
>
> For the screenshots one there will definitely need to be game playing :)

True, and I suppose this will be the case for most other tasks as well.

I'm fine with this name then. :-)

> > - Multiple claims on one package are possible.  However, if this
> >  happens, the user will be warned.  This is to allow people to take
> >  over work of appearantly non-active people without needing to purge
> >  their comments.
>
> Good, some timestamps and "Claimed X seconds ago" would help with this.

Good idea.  I didn't implement this yet.

> > - It would probably be nice to combine the page with an IRC bot for
> >  notifications.  However, I have no experience with IRC bots at all, so
> >  that will not work unless someone will implement it.
>
> Definitely, and maybe for claims too.

Ah yes, that would be useful as well.

> > - Most likely I will program the server side as a CGI script in bash,
> >  with a plain-text DB.  Client side will be HTML and javascript
> >  (Ecma262+DOM), of course.
>
> Hmm, OK. I was thinking something Web2.0 like django/pylons/RoR &
> jquery.

Even though this "Web2.0" thing is around for some time now, I still
don't really know what it is. ;-)  Anyway, bash is fine for cgi
scripting in general, but awful for handling POST data.  So I've now
used python, which has a module for that. :-)

> > Possible package states:
> > 0 - needs screenshot
> > 1 - has screenshot
> > 2 - has approved screenshot
> > 3 - has screenshot in the archive
> > Initially all packages should be in state 0 or 3.
>
> Not sure if we need 1 vs 2 since I'll just continously approve/reject
> stuff?

Right.  I've removed it.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 12:37:34PM +0100, Steve Cotton wrote:
> I'd add:
> 4 - has old screenshot in the archive, needs a new one

Good point.  I'll add that one.

> This brings up a good point though, how to sync status with the
> screenshots site. I'll talk to Signum about it.

Are there any changes to be expected during the party?  I didn't expect
syncing to be useful; the party is an atomic operation on the time scale
of package uploads. :-)

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://a82-93-13-222.adsl.xs4all.nl/e-mail.html