Re: Debian Games Parties!

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 12:22:43PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I propose we do the first Debian Games party soon:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Parties
>
> Are there any general comments on this idea?

Good idea!  But might I suggest that the name is confusing?  A "games
party" sounds like we get together and play games.  Not such a bad idea
either, but here we want people who actually do some work. ;-)

> I propose we base the first party around generating screenshots for
> all the games in Debian sid since it doesn't require many skills.
>
> Here is the TODO list to make this happen:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Parties/Screenshots

Sounds good.

> Any thoughts on these questions or volunteers for the other items?
>
> Especially a volunteer for the web-based tool would be ideal.

I can make one.  I'll dump some first thoughts of how it should look, so
people can complain beforehand if it isn't useful. :-)

- The server side will have a DB, of course.  No access control is
  attempted, I just assume everyone is of good faith.  (There may be a
  password which is given out on IRC to reduce spam).
- On the page is a list of games with their state and claims, plus
  comments.
- Users can change the state of a package, and/or add/remove claims.
- Multiple claims on one package are possible.  However, if this
  happens, the user will be warned.  This is to allow people to take
  over work of appearantly non-active people without needing to purge
  their comments.
- It would probably be nice to combine the page with an IRC bot for
  notifications.  However, I have no experience with IRC bots at all, so
  that will not work unless someone will implement it.
- Most likely I will program the server side as a CGI script in bash,
  with a plain-text DB.  Client side will be HTML and javascript
  (Ecma262+DOM), of course.

Possible package states:
0 - needs screenshot
1 - has screenshot
2 - has approved screenshot
3 - has screenshot in the archive
Initially all packages should be in state 0 or 3.

Names used for claiming should be IRC nicks.  There could be a comment
field on the package and one on the name.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://a82-93-13-222.adsl.xs4all.nl/e-mail.html