Re: Sorting out the Quake2 situation

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Julian Mehnle <julian@mehnle.net> wrote:

> What do you mean by "reduce to one"?  Are you suggesting to merge several
> engines, starting a new engine fork of our own?  Or are you merely
> suggesting that we pick one of the existing engines and maybe apply a
> patch or two to bring in essential functionality from another engine?

Yet another fork would be the absolute antithesis of my suggestion.
Working with the various Quake forks to unite all the developers and
development on one common source tree would be the ideal situation. I
view Quake as a bit of a hornets nest of forks and it would be nice to
see that change. Failing that, the Debian security team will be
prevented from hating us if we pick only one engine and get any
nessecary patches merged upstream ;) They don't like embedded code
copies or multitudes of forks, which are both the sort of thing that
makes more unnessecary work for them.

My other question; is there any free data for Quake II engines or are
we talking about contrib stuff only?

--
bye,
pabs