Re: RFC: beat harvester

> I just packaged beat harvester [1] and was wondering if:
>
> 1) anyone else had minor sound glitches

Don't know yet ;)

> 2) there is anything that would prevent the package from being
> uploaded

Yes, there are.

> Any feedback appreciated, and if anyone thinks the package is
> fit for upload, fell free to do it. Also feel free to change & commit
> whatever.

Okay... let's see...

Your versions source versions are 0.4.1 and 0.4.5, but you named the
orig.tar.gzs beatharvester_b041.orig.tar.gz and
beatharvester_b045.orig.tar.gz (and least that's how I got them when
rsync the pkg-games tarballs directory).  So dpkg-buildpackage / svn
buildpackage didn't found it.  I created proper symlinks on the tarballs
directory on alioth for you.

You have multiple changelog entries; while there is nothing wrong with
that, you should always point that out.  Backbround is, that unless
stated otherwise the "changes file" (which is in the end responsible for
closing bugs) is only generated using the last changelog entry.  So if
you close a bug in a package revision, which isn't uploaded, and create a
new one, which get's uploaded, the bug fixed with the previous package
revision isn't closed automatically, unless you tell dpkg-buildpackage /
svn-buildpackage to include older changelog entries, too.

In general, I would avoid having changelog entries for not uploaded
package revisions.

An other problem might be, if you create a new package revision (e.g.
-2), while -1 didn't get uploaded, since normally the orig.tar.gz isn't
included in uploades with package revisions greater -1 (since the
package systems assumes the orig.tar.gz to be present).

According to the upstream changelog, this versions are still beta
versions;  not a problem to have beta versions in the archive, but your
version number should reflect this.  Image the situation, that upstreams
decided to release a "real" version 0.4.5, while you allready useed that
version number for a beta version... Beside:  I think it's only honnest
to reflect the "beta" status in the version for our users.

Perhaps rename the version to 0.4.5~beta1-1 ?

debian/control:
  - your package description is quite short; isn't there anything else
    worthwhile to be mentioned?

debian/copyright:
  - NO need to point to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html, since you
    are allready pointing to /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2
  - No need to point to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/,
    since you add the full license text bellow
  - "All game code, content, sounds and graphics are licenced under CC
    3.0 BY"  I think that's wrong.  If I read README.txt correctly, game
    code is GPL 2, not CC 3.0 BY.
  - License for bin/data/Vera.ttf is missing (Do you know you can just
    use "less" on ttf-files, and might be able to extract license
    agreements?)

debian/watch:

Doesn't work as expected (but needs to adjusted anyway depending on your
solution for the beta versions):
$ uscan --report-status
Processing watchfile line for package beatharvester...
Newest version on remote site is 0.45, local version is 0.4.5
beatharvester: Newer version (0.45) available on remote site:
  http://hectigo.net/puskutraktori/beatharvester/beatharvester_b045.zip
  (local version is 0.4.5)

debian/rules:
  - You install your script to /usr/share/games/beatharvester/game.sh ,
    just to symlink it in /usr/games.  Would it be easier to just
    install the script to /usr/games?

The game doesn't work at all:
============================
$ /usr/games/beatharvester
Error: Image file not found: menu-background.png
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "run_game.py", line 16, in ?
    main.main()
  File "/usr/share/games/beatharvester/lib/main.py", line 50, in main
    main_menu()
  File "/usr/share/games/beatharvester/lib/main.py", line 28, in main_menu
    selection = m.run()
  File "/usr/share/games/beatharvester/lib/menu.py", line 151, in run
    draw_text(m, rect.center, FONT_SIZE, COLOR_GUI_HILIGHT)
  File "/usr/share/games/beatharvester/lib/gl_render_util.py", line 285, in draw_text
    ret = draw_surface("text_" + string + str(color) + str(bgcolor) + ' ' + str(size), coords, 0, string_image, is_new)
  File "/usr/share/games/beatharvester/lib/gl_render_util.py", line 92, in draw_surface
    GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, surface );
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/OpenGL/wrapper.py", line 924, in wrapperCall
    raise err
OpenGL.error.GLError: GLError(
	err = 1281,
	description = 'invalid value',
	baseOperation = glTexImage2D,
	pyArgs = [
		GL_TEXTURE_2D,
		0,
		GL_RGBA,
		101,
		24,
		0,
		GL_RGBA,
		GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
		'\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00...
	],
	cArgs = [
		GL_TEXTURE_2D,
		0,
		GL_RGBA,
		101,
		24,
		0,
		GL_RGBA,
		GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
		'\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00...
	],
	cArguments = (
		GL_TEXTURE_2D,
		0,
		GL_RGBA,
		101,
		24,
		0,
		GL_RGBA,
		GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
		c_void_p(139007156),
	)
)

Note the first line, the rest seems to be errors based upon it.  Not also, that
/usr/share/games/beatharvester/data/pictures/menu-background.png exists.

I think that's about it.  At least the starting problem and the
copyright must be fixed, before the package can be uploaded.  The other
points are "shoulds".

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander