Re: RFC: beat harvester

Hi :)

first of all, sorry for not replying any sooner. I have been to FOSDEM
and am only slowly catching up with stuff..

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Alexander Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org> wrote:

>  Your versions source versions are 0.4.1 and 0.4.5, but you named the
>  orig.tar.gzs beatharvester_b041.orig.tar.gz and
>  beatharvester_b045.orig.tar.gz (and least that's how I got them when
>  rsync the pkg-games tarballs directory).  So dpkg-buildpackage / svn
>  buildpackage didn't found it.  I created proper symlinks on the tarballs
>  directory on alioth for you.

Thanks. I wanted to keep the b out of Debian naming, and apparently
failed at doing so in a good way :/

>  You have multiple changelog entries; while there is nothing wrong with
>  that, you should always point that out.  Backbround is, that unless
>  stated otherwise the "changes file" (which is in the end responsible for
>  closing bugs) is only generated using the last changelog entry.  So if
>  you close a bug in a package revision, which isn't uploaded, and create a
>  new one, which get's uploaded, the bug fixed with the previous package
>  revision isn't closed automatically, unless you tell dpkg-buildpackage /
>  svn-buildpackage to include older changelog entries, too.
>
>  In general, I would avoid having changelog entries for not uploaded
>  package revisions.

I didn't know that. Thanks, I will change it accordingly and keep it in
mind, from now on.

>  An other problem might be, if you create a new package revision (e.g.
>  -2), while -1 didn't get uploaded, since normally the orig.tar.gz isn't
>  included in uploades with package revisions greater -1 (since the
>  package systems assumes the orig.tar.gz to be present).

Ouch. Noted.

>  According to the upstream changelog, this versions are still beta
>  versions;  not a problem to have beta versions in the archive, but your
>  version number should reflect this.  Image the situation, that upstreams
>  decided to release a "real" version 0.4.5, while you allready useed that
>  version number for a beta version... Beside:  I think it's only honnest
>  to reflect the "beta" status in the version for our users.

Upstream does not plan to re-use the 0 major number for stable releases
and traditionally keeps stuff in Beta for longer than necessary (the
google definition of Beta).

>  Perhaps rename the version to 0.4.5~beta1-1 ?

Upstream might lose the beta with the next release, but if not, yes, sure.
Wouldn't 0.4.5~beta-1 make more sense, though?

>  debian/control:
>   - your package description is quite short; isn't there anything else
>     worthwhile to be mentioned?

Yes and no. It has nice sound effects, but asteroid-clones only have that
much functionality.

>  debian/copyright:
>   - NO need to point to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html, since you
>     are allready pointing to /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2
>   - No need to point to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/,
>     since you add the full license text bellow

Does it hurt, though?

>   - "All game code, content, sounds and graphics are licenced under CC
>     3.0 BY"  I think that's wrong.  If I read README.txt correctly, game
>     code is GPL 2, not CC 3.0 BY.

Argh, copy & paste failure. Thanks.

>   - License for bin/data/Vera.ttf is missing (Do you know you can just
>     use "less" on ttf-files, and might be able to extract license
>     agreements?)

I am not actually packaging that font, I depend on the package. Do I
still need to add the licence? Or is that because the font appears in
the orig tarball?

>  debian/watch:
>
>  Doesn't work as expected (but needs to adjusted anyway depending on your
>  solution for the beta versions):
>  $ uscan --report-status
>  Processing watchfile line for package beatharvester...
>  Newest version on remote site is 0.45, local version is 0.4.5
>  beatharvester: Newer version (0.45) available on remote site:
>   http://hectigo.net/puskutraktori/beatharvester/beatharvester_b045.zip
>   (local version is 0.4.5)

Will change that, thanks.

>  debian/rules:
>   - You install your script to /usr/share/games/beatharvester/game.sh ,
>     just to symlink it in /usr/games.  Would it be easier to just
>     install the script to /usr/games?

Sure, no problem. I just copied that approach from other packages and am
not particular about how to do this.

>  The game doesn't work at all:
>  ============================
>  $ /usr/games/beatharvester
>  Error: Image file not found: menu-background.png
>  Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "run_game.py", line 16, in ?
>     main.main()
>   File "/usr/share/games/beatharvester/lib/main.py", line 50, in main
>     main_menu()
>   File "/usr/share/games/beatharvester/lib/main.py", line 28, in main_menu
>     selection = m.run()
>   File "/usr/share/games/beatharvester/lib/menu.py", line 151, in run
>     draw_text(m, rect.center, FONT_SIZE, COLOR_GUI_HILIGHT)
>   File "/usr/share/games/beatharvester/lib/gl_render_util.py", line 285, in draw_text
>     ret = draw_surface("text_" + string + str(color) + str(bgcolor) + ' ' + str(size), coords, 0, string_image, is_new)
>   File "/usr/share/games/beatharvester/lib/gl_render_util.py", line 92, in draw_surface
>     GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, surface );
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/OpenGL/wrapper.py", line 924, in wrapperCall
>     raise err
>  OpenGL.error.GLError: GLError(
>         err = 1281,
>         description = 'invalid value',
>         baseOperation = glTexImage2D,
>         pyArgs = [
>                 GL_TEXTURE_2D,
>                 0,
>                 GL_RGBA,
>                 101,
>                 24,
>                 0,
>                 GL_RGBA,
>                 GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
>                 '\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00...
>         ],
>         cArgs = [
>                 GL_TEXTURE_2D,
>                 0,
>                 GL_RGBA,
>                 101,
>                 24,
>                 0,
>                 GL_RGBA,
>                 GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
>                 '\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00...
>         ],
>         cArguments = (
>                 GL_TEXTURE_2D,
>                 0,
>                 GL_RGBA,
>                 101,
>                 24,
>                 0,
>                 GL_RGBA,
>                 GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
>                 c_void_p(139007156),
>         )
>  )
>
>  Note the first line, the rest seems to be errors based upon it.  Not also, that
>  /usr/share/games/beatharvester/data/pictures/menu-background.png exists.

That is strange, it did not happen on my local box. Will look at that
with a clean root fs.

>  I think that's about it.  At least the starting problem and the
>  copyright must be fixed, before the package can be uploaded.  The other
>  points are "shoulds".

Thanks a lot! I will do it all asap :)

Richard