Re: screenshots.debian.net

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Christoph Haas <haas@debian.org> wrote:

>> I'd suggest that this be relaxed a lot. Submitting screenshots, like
>> debtags, is something that people with little technical skill or other
>> special skills are able to contribute to Debian. Encouraging our users
>> to get involved in this way brings them closer to Debian and increases
>> the chances they will be interested in getting involved in Debian in
>> other ways. I think it is very important for the health and longevity
>> of the project to do this.
>
> I'm open to suggestions. But allowing anybody to upload could make the site
> a porn repository. Using captchas? That would just ensure the uploader is
> human - but machines seldom have interest in porn. It would be great if
> anybody could contribute screenshots because getting every maintainer of a
> GUI application to submit something is probably harder than having a team
> of volunteers to make screenshots of several applications.

I think the way debtags are done is that anyone can submit changes and
then enrico approves them in batches. So, perhaps you could appoint a
trusted team of people to approve new screenshots. Given a nice admin
web interface, these could even be a bunch of users.

> I checked the games screenshots yesterday and 320x240 may not appear much
> but it's indeed giving a perfect idea of what to expect from a game. What
> I meant is that if someone submits a 1600x1280 screenshots I would shrink
> it to no more than 800x600. IMHO larger pictures don't carry any more
> information, waste too much space and not everybody can view them properly
> in their browser.

Oh, ok. I think 320x240 is the perfect size for packages.d.o myself,
but being able to view 800x600 images could be nice too.

BTW, I assume that you'll store a version number with the screenshot
(and validate it) so we can tell when screenshots are outdated?

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise