Re: screenshots.debian.net

On Sonntag, 26. Oktober 2008, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 1:36 AM, Christoph Haas <haas@debian.org> wrote:
> > - Authentication: As I don't have direct access to LDAP authentication
> >                  for DDs I currently allow only people with a
> > @debian.org email address to sign up for an account. This it not
> > perfect because Debian Maintainers and sponsorees should be able to
> > upload screenshots for their own packages, too. Perhaps the
> > registration email should allow anyone with a
> > $USER@packages.debian.org address.
>
> I'd suggest that this be relaxed a lot. Submitting screenshots, like
> debtags, is something that people with little technical skill or other
> special skills are able to contribute to Debian. Encouraging our users
> to get involved in this way brings them closer to Debian and increases
> the chances they will be interested in getting involved in Debian in
> other ways. I think it is very important for the health and longevity
> of the project to do this.

I'm open to suggestions. But allowing anybody to upload could make the site
a porn repository. Using captchas? That would just ensure the uploader is
human - but machines seldom have interest in porn. It would be great if
anybody could contribute screenshots because getting every maintainer of a
GUI application to submit something is probably harder than having a team
of volunteers to make screenshots of several applications.

> > - Screenshot storage: I intend to shrink uploaded packages to 800x600
> >                      and prepare a thumbnail like 100x75, too. I'm
> >                      confident that 800x600 would carry enough
> >                      information.
>
> The games-thumbnails package contains 320x240 images. I guess we
> should redo our images and generate the games-thumbnails package from
> screenshots.debian.net images, but resized to 320x240.

I checked the games screenshots yesterday and 320x240 may not appear much
but it's indeed giving a perfect idea of what to expect from a game. What
I meant is that if someone submits a 1600x1280 screenshots I would shrink
it to no more than 800x600. IMHO larger pictures don't carry any more
information, waste too much space and not everybody can view them properly
in their browser.

 Christoph
--
A guess is just a guess until you turn it into a pie chart.
Then it's an analysis. (Scott Adams)