Re: screenshots.debian.net

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 1:36 AM, Christoph Haas <haas@debian.org> wrote:

> - Authentication: As I don't have direct access to LDAP authentication
>                  for DDs I currently allow only people with a @debian.org
>                  email address to sign up for an account. This it not
>                  perfect because Debian Maintainers and sponsorees should
>                  be able to upload screenshots for their own packages,
>                  too. Perhaps the registration email should allow anyone
>                  with a $USER@packages.debian.org address.

I'd suggest that this be relaxed a lot. Submitting screenshots, like
debtags, is something that people with little technical skill or other
special skills are able to contribute to Debian. Encouraging our users
to get involved in this way brings them closer to Debian and increases
the chances they will be interested in getting involved in Debian in
other ways. I think it is very important for the health and longevity
of the project to do this.

> - Screenshot storage: I intend to shrink uploaded packages to 800x600
>                      and prepare a thumbnail like 100x75, too. I'm
>                      confident that 800x600 would carry enough
>                      information.

The games-thumbnails package contains 320x240 images. I guess we
should redo our images and generate the games-thumbnails package from
screenshots.debian.net images, but resized to 320x240.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise