freedink packages (was: Re: Join the games team)

Hi,

Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> > Currently we're maintaining the packages in two different
> > repositories, SVN and git. SVN stores just the debian/ part of the
> > package source, the git repository I'm not very expert on it. I don't
> > know which of both systems you prefer or are more proficient in.
>
> OK. I can work with both and I'm currently using git for my projects.
>
> I'm wondering if there's a way to import my 'debian/' history somehow?
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=freedink.git;a=tree;f=debian
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=freedink/dfarc.git;a=tree;f=debian
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=freedink/dink-data.git;a=tree;f=debian

We can start with a clone of your repository and then add a branch for
the Debian packaging (and maybe for the released tarballs).  I think it
would be best to discuss this in IRC (my nick there is ansgar).

> Cool.  I uploaded a proper upstream release at freedink.org and built
> the source Debian package along the way.
>
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/freedink/freedink_1.08.20080828-1.dsc
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/d/dfarc/dfarc_3.0-1.dsc
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/d/dink-data/dink-data_1.08-1.dsc

A suggestion: What about calling the packages freedink-dfarc and
freedink-data instead?  This makes the relationship with the freedink
package clearer.

You can remove the lines from debian/watch that you do not use.

You might also consider using the proposed machine-readable format for
debian/copyright [1].  Also please add a copyright statement for the
Debian packaging itself.

dink-data and dfarc miss Vcs-* fields in debian/control (we can fix this
later with the location of the Debian Games Team repository).

Package specific comments:

The .orig tarball for dink-data contains only a zip archive.  I think it
should be repackaged to .tar.gz so we avoid having archives within
archives.  Also you should consider adding a debian/watch file.
I think the `rm -rf $(CURDIR)/debian/dink-data' in debian/rules is not
needed: dh_clean should take care of that.

The data should be installed into a subdirectory of /usr/share/games.

Also the Homepage: field refers to [2] which doesn't contain the word
`dink' at all.  Maybe refer to [3] instead?

In debian/rules for dfarc you call `make install-strip', but dh_strip
will strip the binaries later (and store the debugging symbols).  So it
should be better to just call `make install'.

You should add a comment to the debian/copyright for dfarc that the
files copyrighted by Microsoft were removed (see the copyright
information for freedink).

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat
[2] http://www.codedojo.com/
[3] http://www.codedojo.com/?page_id=7

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19  739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797  B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19