Re: Need to reach a decision on how to handle the git repository

On Friday 06 June 2008 3:04:38 am Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> 2008/6/6 Robin Cornelius <robin.cornelius@gmail.com>:
> > I also like the idea of using git, pristine-tar etc (as per option 2)
> > but also with the option of using a patch system such as quilt. I
> > currently have dpatch and have refrained from converting my package to
> > quilt patches until this discussion was resolved. I have the following
> > concerns :-
>
> My question then would be, if we used quilt and only changed stuff in
> debian/, what's the advantage of having the whole source code in git,
> instead of just debian/ as we do in SVN? The disadvantage is huge if
> you need to download many packages at once, while with just debian/
> it's quite quick. Upstream's source code won't be modified directly in
> this layout, so why not just keep having a tarball out of the
> versioning system as we do with SVN?
>
> Does anyone know how other Teams manage their git repositories? anyone
> with experience in this?
>
> Greetings,
> Miry

Here's a snippet from http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/git-usage.

"Changes that are meant to be preserved across upstream releases and not
pushed upstream, such as changes required for driver DFSG-compliance, will be
kept in the debian branch in an external patching system that will be
collectively used by the whole team. Currently, this is quilt, although we
are evaluating stgit."

So there may be cases where patches need to be preserved across upstream
releases. An example of such a case is ogre, where the build system is
modified so that none of the non-free samples which are not included in the
orig tarball are compiled.

I guess the policy should be "make changes inline with the source, except for
changes that will never be used upstream". Maybe we shouldn't dwell too much
on the issue of using a patching system or not as there will always be
packages that require changes so they comply with the DFSG, and thus, there
will always be a need to use a patching system. So the policy should be "you
may make changes inline and/or use a patching system."

Andres