Re: Need to reach a decision on how to handle the git repository

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Regarding the packages in git, I don't see any benefits in having the
>> whole source code in git and still be using quilt. The idea, from what
>> I've seen in other teams, would be to be able to implement different
>> functionalities in different branches, and merge all the ones you want
>> in the final result. That is something that can not be easily achieved
>> with quilt, if it can be at all, and thus restricting git to using
>> quilt and having all the changes in debian/ would lead us to the 1st
>> option.
>>
>> Miry
>
> The idea with still using quilt was to have patches available for anyone to
> review, adopt, etc. I suppose in git, anyone could take advantage of
> git-format-patch for this case.
>
> I would stick with using quilt for now, and generate the patches as described
> in http://wiki.debian.org/Games/VCS.

I also like the idea of using git, pristine-tar etc (as per option 2)
but also with the option of using a patch system such as quilt. I
currently have dpatch and have refrained from converting my package to
quilt patches until this discussion was resolved. I have the following
concerns :-

Using a patch system means that anyone checking out the source from
the archive gets the pristine source + debian folder with patches all
separate and it is very clear what is happening. If its all contained
in the .diff.tar.gz then the source package looses some value and
someone wishing to check details of changes would be forced to
checkout the version from VCS.

Keeping patches separate and applied with quilt fits better for me
with the connection between my patches and the upstream bug tracker.
As patches are updated it is trivial to drop in and replace. Also for
updating patches and sending back upstream, i may have multiple
patches that act on a single source file, if i am to update a patch I
am not clear how to separate the components with git. I can get a
delta w.r.t. a clean upstream very easily but this delta could contain
bits from multiple patches, which i then have to separate. I very much
like the idea of keeping patches in self contained "bundles" with each
patch acting on a specific thing. It also makes dealing with conflicts
when upstream updates far far easier, as i can just drop the patch
then work through each hunk and manually rebase etc. Again i cannot
see how to easily do this with git alone.

Regards

Robin