Re: Need to reach a decision on how to handle the git repository

2008/6/6 Robin Cornelius <robin.cornelius@gmail.com>:

> I also like the idea of using git, pristine-tar etc (as per option 2)
> but also with the option of using a patch system such as quilt. I
> currently have dpatch and have refrained from converting my package to
> quilt patches until this discussion was resolved. I have the following
> concerns :-

My question then would be, if we used quilt and only changed stuff in
debian/, what's the advantage of having the whole source code in git,
instead of just debian/ as we do in SVN? The disadvantage is huge if
you need to download many packages at once, while with just debian/
it's quite quick. Upstream's source code won't be modified directly in
this layout, so why not just keep having a tarball out of the
versioning system as we do with SVN?

Does anyone know how other Teams manage their git repositories? anyone
with experience in this?

Greetings,
Miry