Re: Newer vegastrike : can we package that big ?

On Saturday 12 April 2008 3:56:11 am Vincent Fourmond wrote:
>   What shall I do ? Can we distribute such as huge game ? We have
> several options:
>
>   * update the game and package the current game data, no matter the size
>   * update the game, package the game's data and install them after
> being compressed by gzip (this is a lof of work, and will not change the
> size of the debian package, just the installed size - that probably
> would be the best thing, though)
>   * only update the game, while keeping the old data (not very
> satisfying, but definitely the less painful one)
>   * drop it altogether (it cannot stay in the current state, and I don't
> feel like backporting the relevant changes to make it bug-free in
> unstable), but I don't feel like doing that so much...
>
>   What do you think ?

Another idea brought up some time ago was mentioned at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/06/msg00298.html.

The idea I'm referring to is that the orig source could contain only a "dummy"
file and the upstream source is actually downloaded from somewhere into
debian/tmp, unpacked, and built from using plain old debian/rules.

The problem with this is that we can't be sure upstream will keep a particular
version of their tarball available for a long time, or if they don't correct
a packaging mistake from a particular version (Alien Arena upstream did that
once).

Andres