Re: Easiest way to Debianise a package?

I'm not a DD, but I have a bit of advice: it seems that new users
commonly will leave a file like debian/dirs in place because dh_make
put it there.  If you don't know what these files do, you can find out
from the man pages for various debhelper commands.  You can easily
guess what manual page covers what you're looking for, i.e.  *install
are related to dh_install, *dirs are related to dh_installdirs, *cron
are related to dh_installcron.

To make multiple binary packages, I usually use .install files to
handle which files go to each package.  There's a relevant paragraph
about this at [1], but it's pretty short.  Also note that dh_install
has --list-missing and --fail-missing options that might help you
catch files that you forgot to install (though I haven't tried them
yet, so I could be wrong).

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-multiple-binary